Saturday, February 23, 2008

Some one was mean to me.

It's hopefully pretty rare that someone is literally mean to you. I mean, I can't really remember the last time before today that someone was just mean. This is what happened.

I was pulling into a parking spot today, and misjudged a little, and *tapped* a car on it's bumper. I mean, really, tapped. It just so happened that the person whose car it was, was coming out of the store. She saw what happened and came running to my car, yelling "No, no, no, no" and wagging her finger at me. She was accusing me of trying to flee the scene of the crime because when I tapped the car, I started to back up, as driving forward was not what I wanted to do. I profusely apologized and she was so snotty to me, I became defensive. I won't go into the details, but pretty much, there was NO damage to her car, and she was acting like was on a mission to steal her first born child. I offered all my info, name, number, car insurance, and she didn't take it, and at the end, she felt compelled to give me a driving lesson. This was not a good experience.

I obviously know, I was completely to blame for bumping the car. I can live with that. Sure I feel pretty stupid about it, but I can't unring the bell. And yes, she had the right to be angry. But I think what struck me is her behavior in this situation. It's amazing how poorly people handle things sometimes (me included). It can take the slightest thing to turn people from Dr. Jekyll into Mr. Hyde. Some are more vicious than others. It's a good lesson, to remember that no one is perfect and sometimes people do things unintentionally, and that doesn't mean that they are the devil incarnate. My misjudging, and her nastiness are hopefully not indicators of how we are as people on the whole.

I was very upset after the encounter. I called Kevin and cried on his shoulder. That helped. It then occurred to me that the way I could redeem my feeling stupid and being angry at the mean lady was to continue my shopping and be extra nice to everyone I encountered. It really worked. The shopping also helped. (I'm a girl, ya know....retail therapy is good.)

I'm pretty much over it now, and I hope the mean lady is doing ok too. I truly am sorry about disturbing her, and will now be much more careful about parking.

3 comments:

Judy said...

I would have ripped her head off.
You are nicer than that though.
Give Heather my email.
judytheshutterbug@yahoo.com

Janet said...

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it."

Janet said...

I just thought to see who said this. ;-)

“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.”
Charles R. Swindoll quote