Thursday, January 24, 2008

To be or not to be....me.

In my endeavor of establishing myself in my new job, I've given much thought to how I want to present myself personally. Professionally, of course, I want to be a quick learner, competent and hard-working. On the personal side, I've gotten myself into bad relationships at work because I didn't exercise healthy boundaries. I do not what this to happen ever again. I'm sick of attracting needy, whiny, high maintenance people who crush my spirit.

In my "plan", I had determined to only let the "professional Shannon" shine for a while. It's not working. The people I work with are cool and it's so easy to get caught up in conversations that revolve around my personal life. I want to be pleasant and not let any of my crazy show through. I'm having a hard time with that because I'm not Mrs. Serious. I am:
  • weird
  • funny
  • silly
  • nerdy
  • talkative
So far, I haven't had too many opportunities to share the details of my life history, so I've not crossed the line yet, but I'm concerned. My mouth runs too fast. GAH! I better get a hold on this fast before everyone finds out what a freak I really am.

Or, should I drop the defenses and just be myself? The thing is, I can't not be myself. Maybe I should just be a censored version of myself. I suppose this is appropriate in work, and many other situations.

Thank God Kevin knows the weirdo-freak in me, and hasn't yet run away screaming.

1 comment:

Janet said...

IMHO ~ Follow those instincts to stay somewhat on the professional side.

People ARE nice on the whole. And you are NOT any more freaky than the rest of us. lol

So be weirdfunnysilly and every other wonderful aspect of your personality, but keep that guard up in divulging too much information about your personal life. I think that having a tiny aura of mystery always works better at the job and in the long run... promotes more respect.

Again though.. just my opinion. :-p

Interesting blog subject! I hope someone else writes in their thoughts on this.